Cooper optimistic for Sandown
Clerk of the Course Andrew Cooper is optimistic that Sandown Park's meeting on Friday will beat the inclement weather.
Andrew Cooper is optimistic Sandown will go ahead
The cold snap claimed Thursday's meeting at Wincanton as inspections have once again become routine for racecourse officials.
Sandown have yet to confirm whether they will require a morning check before giving the first of their two-day meeting the go ahead but Cooper delivered an optimistic report to sportinglife.com on the latest conditions.
"We've covered the landings and take-offs and the shaded parts of the track as a precaution and we'll play it by ear whether we need to do the same after racing on Friday for Saturday's meeting," he said.
"The forecast is very positive and it's looking we'll get daytime temperatures of 8C or 9C, while we're not forecast to go much below 3C overnight – but the forecast has proved wrong by a couple of degrees already this week, so it seems the sensible thing to do to have a look just to make sure.
"I have to say it would be pretty disappointing if we had any problems now, based upon the forecast, but if it's still not quite raceable yet, it seems the sensible thing to do to have a look."