Inspections called for Sunday cards

Freezing temperatures are putting the meetings at both Hereford and Fontwell on Sunday under threat.

Fontwell: Inspection on Sunday morning.

Officials at Hereford will stage an inspection at 1400(GMT) today to decide whether Sunday's meeting can go ahead.

Although covers have been deployed on all take offs and landings as well as other vulnerable areas, the going on Saturday morning was described as soft, heavy in places – frozen in areas.

Clerk of the course Rebecca Davies said: "Temperatures dipped to -5C overnight and it was still around that at 8am this morning. We couldn't race today.

Follow Us on Twitter

"It could get up to 3C this afternoon, but then temperatures will drop again and it could get down to-6C tonight.

"On the basis of the updated forecast, we felt it prudent to check on conditions at 2pm this afternoon and we'll see where we are then."

Sunday's meeting at Fontwell is subject to an 0800(GMT) inspection on raceday morning.

The West Sussex circuit is due to stage a seven-race National Hunt card, but another night of freezing temperatures has put the fixture in serious doubt.

Clerk of the course Edward Arkell said: "We got down to -3C overnight and we're only due to get up to around 4C today.

"We're due another frost for tonight, which is forecast to be less severe than the last few nights, but then it could be a bit colder on Sunday than it is today, possibly only getting up to around 3C.

"We'll wait and see where we are in the morning, but we do need to see a significant improvement."

Read More at Sporting Life

Leave us a comment!

Share this story:


Newsletter

Subscribe to our Newsletter today to receive Free Horse Racing Tips.

Simply fill out the form below and wait for the Free Tips to land in your inbox.



You May Also Like